Moving Day Tips
1) Notify utilities when to discontinue service.
2) Make arrangements in advance for all services at your new home so that all utilities are turned on for you on the day you are moving in.
3) Notify Post Office of change of address.
4) If moving in hot or cold weather, articles subject to extreme temperatures should be shipped under controlled conditions.
5) Carry with you your currency, jewellery and valuable papers.
6) Be sure to notify the Vehicle Registration Office of change of address.
7) Notify doctor, dentist and government offices
8) Notify school authorities so they may forward your children's school records to the new school.
8) Dispose of old obsolete articles that you no longer require.
9) Whenever possible, try to move at other times than at the beginning and end of the month as these dates prove to be the most expensive
10)Make sure the telephone is left connected UNTIL THE LOADING IS COMPLETED in order to accommodate any last minute requirements you may have
11)Arrange to transfer your bank account to your new location
12)If you are moving into a new home in a new subdivision, check that the driveway and roads are accessible to the moving truck
13)Take a telephone book with you, it will come in handy for checking addresses, etc. Arrange to have one at your new location if leaving the area. Remember to take one with you from your current location.
14)Discard flammables - such as matches, lighter fluids, gasoline, paints, turpentine.
15)Do not overload drawers when packing items in dressers, etc.
16)Liquids in bottles should have tops securely fastened.
17)Pack in one carton enough dishes and utensils to allow you to prepare your first meal at your new home. Take it with you in your car if possible. If not, load this carton last so it will be the first item unloaded at your new home.
18)Towels and pillows may be packed in dresser drawers.
19)Do not leave trays, etc. loose in refrigerator and stove.
20)On moving day, check attic, basement and garage to make sure all wanted items are taken.
21)Any items such as luggage that you are not including in the goods to be moved, should be kept separate so they will not be moved in error.
22)It is not necessary to empty dresser drawers, but remove all fragile and heavy items and all liquids.
23)Mark any articles you may require first in your new home so that they may be loaded accordingly. Be sure to pick up masking tape and a felt marker.
24)Number or name all of your boxes and furniture according to the rooms they will be placed in at your new home. This will make it more efficient for the movers, cutting down on your costs.
25)Power tools, such as lathes, saws, grinders, should be dismantled for safe moving.
26)Pack a small tool box with you for the move. i.e. hammer, screwdriver, drill, nails and a flashlight as you will almost certainly need them.
27)Purchase a small amount of picture hanging hooks for the new home.
28)Defrost your refrigerator the day before moving.
29)Make sure to drain the gas out of such items as out board motors and power mowers.
30)Any fixtures fastened to the wall, drapery tracks, etc. should not be taken.